oh windows, this is all you’ll ever be useful for.
This is exactly how I feel. I’ve erased the word “literally” from my life; it drives me crazy. I even downloaded a Firefox addon that replaces the word “literally” with a space so I don’t have to see it. The funny thing is, sentences usually makes more sense when “literally” is taken out.
Thanks to all who liked my previous Java applet related rants.
To put it simply, it wasn’t Java’s fault nor was it Firefox’s fault, but it was my own. When I was looking through my html files today, I noticed that one of my applets worked perfectly fine in Firefox (which was the only one I didn’t test, because I assumed it wouldn’t work) After seeing that one of them worked, I opened up my two other html files in Google Chrome to see if those worked as well, to no avail. They both threw the same NoClassDefException (which I ignored previously because I was so frustrated) Then it hit me: the browser didn’t know where to locate the class files, which meant that there was something wrong with the codebase attribute in my html files for my other two applets. My was suspicion was correct.
For my “Hello World!” applet, I wrote codebase=/home/austin/xxx/” instead of codebase=”/home/austin/xxx/” A lack of a quotation mark threw off the entire applet.
For my second applet, I set codebase to the wrong directory.
After I did my corrections, not only did all of my applets work in Google Chrome, they also worked in Firefox. Firefox was crashing simply because I wrote the wrong directory for codebase in the html file, which is a pretty stupid reason to crash. Anyways, the moral of the story is this: If an exception is thrown, pay attention to it and fix it instead of getting upset and going to tumblr.
Okay, so I tried to launch a Java applet on my old Windows XP computer. I got confused with the interface at first, forgetting that I did not have a launcher as a sidebar and trying to click on the left-hand side to close a window. Anyways, Firefox tells me the applet fails and spits out a vague error message just like with Opera/Google Chrome on Linux. This is good news in the sense that Linux isn’t to blame for my dumb applet problems. The bad news is that as a developer, I have no way of testing Java applets, meaning I’m going to have to stick to Java applications in the mean time. I’m so annoyed right now, not sure what I’m going to do.
They don’t want to work for some reason. I’ve tried four browsers so far with no success. It’s not even a complicated applet, it’s a simple “Hello World” program.
Firefox 5.0 - launching applets crashes the browser
Opera 11 - vague error message even though all of my code is correct
Konquerer - can’t even get the java plugin to work
Google Chrome 12 - same thing as Opera
I can’t find a reasonable fix for this anywhere. I’ll probably make a post on the Ubuntu forums or Stack Overflow. That or I’ll reluctantly use Windows on my old desktop for the sole purpose of learning applets. By the way, I’ll be updating this blog more frequently. (I sound like a broken record here) They’re not always going to be programming related stuff or huge long posts like my last one, just some interesting stuff I happen to find. My traditional posts ain’t going away, so don’t worry.